Monday, April 21, 2008

Party Boy

Luke had a wonderful time at Princess Jada's birthday party. When we drove up to her house and he got a glimpse of all that was waiting for him, his eyes lit up. There was Ronzo the clown on site to make balloon figures of just about anything you could name, a train, a blow up jumping house and the frosting on the cake was the two horses who showed up for "pony rides." Luke had choice anxiety in a big way and hopped from one thing to another. He watched the horses intently and I could tell he was picturing himself up in the saddle and trying to decide if he could do it. The first time John tried to get him on he immediately shouted, "No, No, No" quite adamant about his decision, but he continued to watch the other kids ride. Finally John tried one more time and this time he did it get on and looked so proud while in the saddle. The attendant walked the horse down to the end of the property and back and Luke held on bravely the entire way. I don't think he will forget that anytime too soon. I have some pictures taken during the party and may be tempted over the years to tell him this was his birthday party (since it really was his birthday) but all the princess garb would probably give me away eventually. We did celebrate his birthday at dinner with a chocolate cake and candles and he did get excited and seemed to understand that it was his special day.

The second party of the day did not happen for us. Miss Lily decided to have a melt down after we got home and I decided it was better for her to take a nap than to be rewarded for her behavior by going to a party. She slept three hours!

Sunday was a beautiful day here weather wise so John and I took the kids to the park. Luke has come a long way with slides in one week. The Sunday before we worked on him to teach him how to go down the little inside slide in the nursery room at church. He was actually scared to do it but the high school girls who were babysitting that day made it so much fun for him that soon he didn't want to stop. This Sunday he was climbing the largest slide in the park all by himself and going down into the arms of Ba Ba at the bottom. He has gained so much confidence over the past week that now I have to be careful he doesn't take on a challenge that is out of his league.

Today Luke went to Carol's house for two hours. I was able to get a few things done at home that don't get done with a new four year old in the house and Luke apparently had a good time playing with the other kids. Wednesday he is going back for a few more hours. He is hardly coughing at all now and has only two more doses of antibiotics to take so is on the mend. Not looking forward to the dentist visit on Thursday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karen,
One one hand I loved all the fun and chaos of Jada's party...on the other hand, I hate that it was soooooo chaotic that I didn't feel like I got to spend much time visiting with anyone, including you and John and Luke. I hope
everyone had a good time.

The photographer got a few good pictures of Lily and Luke. I'll send them to you along with a thank you note. By the way, when I told Jada that Lily and Luke brought her those gifts all the way from China she said, "I am so lucky". She put the pearl pendent in the panda purse and slept with it under her pillow that night.

Luke certainly looked like he is adjusting well. I'm so happy for you and your family.

I know Jada would love to be able to spend some time with Lily without 15 other kids running in the pack), so let me know when things settle down for you and we'll plan a playdate. I also need to plan a playdate for all the IAF families. I've been so busy lately, I haven't had a chance to much of anything.

Take care,
Lisa

P.S. Do you have another e-mail address I should use while you are away from the office?